This is a Gooding-family favourite, there’s something about the spice, tang and earthiness that makes it delicious. Plus I often throw it on the BBQ rotisserie which adds another level of umami and smokiness. Pair it with a salad, roasted veggies or charred broccolini.
1 whole chicken - quartered or left whole
2 cms fresh ginger - peeled
4 garlic cloves
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 red long chilli - trimmed
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp sumac
1/2 tsp harissa
1 lemon - juiced
50mls olive oil
large pinch sea salt
- Pre heat oven to 190C or fire up the BBQ (if you’re looking for a short marinade otherwise marinade for 2 hours or longer
- Place all the spices, herbs, garlic, ginger, chilli, oil and lemon juice in a small food processor or blender and blitz for 20 secs or until blended - few chunks are fine.
- Rub the chicken with the marinade and set aside
- When it’s been marinading long enough transfer the chicken to the oven (in an baking tray) or to the BBQ
- Cook for 50-60mins in the oven (cook time depends on size of the bird) before remove from the heat and allowing to rest for 10 minutes before serving
- If BBQ’ing cook until cooked through a lightly charred on the outside. Remove from the heat and allowing to rest for 10 minutes before serving.