This was dinner for Til and I last night (the kids didn't get a look in, but to be fair the little ones were both sick so off their food). The smell emanating from the oven for the final 2 hours was unbelievable. Our lamb is from Tathra Place down in Wombeyan Caves - where Luke tends to his land and animals with the greatest wisdom and stewardship.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did...
4 lamb shanks (www.thegoodfarm.shop)
2 tbs olive oil
2 large brown onions - quartered
6 garlic cloves - left whole
4 anchovy fillets
1 tbs dried rosemary
1/2 cup green olives - cheeks removed from the pip
1 tbs tomato puree
800mls tinned tomatoes
1. Remove lamb shanks form the fridge 30 minutes before cooking
2.Pre-heat oven to 140C
3. Heat the olive oil in a crock pot on medium heat on the stove top. Add the onions, garlic, rosemary and saute for 10 minutes. Add the anchovies and stir
4. Add the lamb shanks and turn the heat up to high and caramelise the lamb before adding the puree, tinned tomatoes, olives and season
5. Place in the oven with the lid on for 3-4 hours
6. Once the meat begins to fall off the bones remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.